Current methods of manufacturing are superb, even for generic medications. That said, there are issues that can develop and a recent concern has been noted by the FDA for Valsartan, a high blood pressure medication. There are concerns that a cancer-causing chemical (NDMA) has tainted the pills in small amounts. Although potentially dangerous, it is not ‘deadly’.
Not all forms of this medication are tainted..only certain manufacturers. Here is the current list:
|Valsartan||Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.|
|Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)||Solco Healthcare|
|Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)||Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.|
- Valsartan – Prinston – Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Valsartan – AvKARE
- Valsartan – A-S Medication Solutions LLC
- Valsartan – Bryant Ranch Prepack, Inc.
- Valsartan – HJ Harkins Company
- Valsartan – Major Pharmaceuticals
- Valsartan – Solco Healthcare
- Valsartan – Northwind Pharmaceuticals
- Valsartan – Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Proficient Rx LP
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Remedy Repack
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Solco Healthcare
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Teva Pharmaceuticals Injustries Ltd.
To determine if your valsartan is manufactured by one of these companies, do the following:
- Call your pharmacy and inquire
- Look at your bottle (it may tell you)
- Enter your pill color, shape, and numbers into the GOOGLE SEARCH BAR…and it will reveal the medication and manufacturer. (ie: white, round, e144)
NOTE: OTHER MEDICATIONS ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THIS RECALL.